Saturday, August 5, 2017

Back at it?

Wow! I was just sitting in Chipotle thinking I should start a Blog only to find out that I already had one set up and in place from a class I took sever years ago? Anyway, instead of a new blog, I guess welcome to a continuation of my ramblings...

So today, I am attending a Tools for Teachers event where teachers with a valid ID from their schools can come get classroom supplies for their students. God bless those who organized it! It makes me feel good! To top it off, Chipotle (my favorite) gave teachers free lunch to boot!

Here's the thing! The event was scheduled from 11-2. I arrived at noon to find the vast majority of supplies gone. One of the organizers told me teachers were lined up at 10!!

That gets me angry! What gets me angry is that teachers are so underfunded (I'm not complaining about teacher salaries here, I'm talking about actual supplies for our classrooms) that: 1) we have to go to giveaway events like this and 2) everything went so quickly. I was able to grab a few notebooks so I can have PAPER to GIVE to those who need it. I also grabbed PENCILS to GIVE to students who need it. I know I'm not alone. If not all, the VAST majority of these materials will simply be GIVEN away, by teachers, to students. If we couldn't get those supplies free, we'd buy them ourselves to give to students. There's no school supply fairy to give this stuff to kids or teachers. In fact, at least in my district many teachers are taking home LESS money than in previous years and each year, often several times a year, we hear about MORE cuts coming while folks bitch about teachers always asking for MORE!

All of this is indicative of some pretty messed up societal ills.

No comments:

Post a Comment