Saturday, April 6, 2013

Evaluating a lesson for UDL

I was recently given the task of evaluating a recent lesson plan I submitted for my CEP 811 class in terms of UDL (Universal Design for Learning). When looking at this lesson and evaluating it with the UDL criteria, I noticed several aspects, both positive and negative, that I had not previously seen. In addition to using this lesson for my class (as a student), I'm also experimenting with this lesson in my class (as a teacher). While it's very easy for a teacher to go back, adjust and sometimes restructure lessons "on the fly," it made it a little difficult to go back and see the lesson, prior to reading my instructor's original comments, quite a few of which I implemented, and prior to the experimentation and adjustments I've made while teaching something in a completely new way, to look at it as it was originally and evaluate it without thinking "oh yeah! I decided to do that" and overlooking something that was originally a barrier. That being said, I think I was successful in that part of the task and also saw some things I can implement in the lesson as I'm teaching it now. There are also some items I saw as barriers that may not directly apply to my class (teaching) that are still barriers to the Universal Design. Hopefully I caught these as well. Without further ado, here it is.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I cordially invite you to check out my

UDL Checklist for the Eng 3P Huckleberry Finn/Scratch Project.

Enjoy.

Next up is to re-write the lesson suggesting ways I can remove the barriers I found. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. I believe that we educators are always perfecting our craft - tweaking our instructional practices, trying out new strategies and integrating technology in unique ways. I think you did a fabulous job of taking a deeper look at your lesson plan. Nicely done ~ Susan

    ReplyDelete